Funding scholarships. How we all pay it forward.
Helping educate the next generation of hospitality professionals is the essential work of AHLEF. And the most tangible, valuable benefit of the contributions our members make to the Foundation. Students are empowered. Careers are launched. The workforce is assured.
Who is eligible?
AHLEF offers many scholarship opportunities to incoming freshman through graduate students. Some are earmarked specifically for current hotel employees and others for minorities. A few have minimum GPA requirements; others are open to full- or part-time students. All require enrollment in a hospitality management degree program.
How much is available?
More than $1.3 million is budgeted in 2018 to award to a few hundred hospitality management students. Scholarships range from $500 to $7,500, and unlike a loan, that money never needs to be paid back.
How are applicants evaluated?
We don't judge applications solely on GPA or financial need. We also review hospitality work experience, extracurricular/professional activities, honors, as well as personal qualities.
Two scholarship categories, one goal: Success
Self-Nominated Scholarships Applicants assess which scholarships they qualify for and apply directly, and their school does not need to be affiliated with AHLEF.
- American Express Scholarship
- Ecolab Scholarship
- Graduate Scholarship
- Hyatt Hotels Fund for Minority Lodging Management Students
- Incoming Freshman Scholarship
- Opening Doors to Opportunity Scholarship
School-Nominated Scholarships Applicants are notified of their nomination by a faculty member.
- AHLEF Annual Scholarship Grant Program
- Arthur J. Packard Memorial Scholarship
- Rama Scholarship for the American Dream
How To Apply
Application information for 2019 scholarships will be available in November. We will be accepting applications until February 15, 2019.
Our scholarships do make a difference! Take a look at some of our scholarship recipients' testimonials.
Other Scholarship Opportunities
In addition to AHLEF's programs, some of the AHLA's Partner State Associations offer scholarship programs. Here are links to their sites:
- California Hotel & Lodging Association
- Illinois Hotel & Lodging Association
- Maine Innkeepers Association
- New York State Hospitality & Tourism Association
- Pennsylvania Restaurant & Lodging Association Educational Foundation
- Rhode Island Hospitality and Tourism Association