What scholarships does the AHLA Foundation offer?
This year, the AHLA Foundation will disburse $1 million through its nine hospitality management scholarship programs for students ranging from freshmen to graduate students. Some scholarships are reserved for current hotel employees or minorities. Others are open to full- or part-time students. Award amounts range from $500 to $7,500.
We offer two types of scholarships:
- Self-nominated - open to all hospitality management students enrolled in a U.S. college or university
- School-nominated – requires school affiliation with the AHLA Foundation
All hospitality students, regardless of where they attend school, have access to more than $600,000 in scholarships offered through AHLAF's self-nominated scholarships:
Promoting AHLA Foundation Scholarships
The AHLA Foundation relies on schools to promote its scholarship opportunities to their hospitality students. We are looking to partner with schools who encourage their students to apply and have started to track the number of scholarship recipients from each school. School participation played a key role in the review of schools selected to participate in AHLAF’s school-nominated programs.
To help you promote the AHLA Foundation’s $1 million in scholarships to your hospitality students, we developed several collateral pieces and here are the links:
- Scholarship Flyer – Please email this pdf directly to your students, post on social media, and share with your faculty and financial aid offices.
Best Practices for Scholarship Promotion
We polled the top 10 schools with the highest number of student applicants for this year and got the following best practices for scholarship promotion:
- Email AHLAF flyer to all hospitality students.
- Include AHLAF info and flyer in department’s FaceBook and Twitter posts
- Post AHLAF flyers in building and classrooms.
- Electronically post flyers on electronic platforms.
- Announce the scholarships in all hospitality related classes.
- Remind students weekly in department newsletter and include AHLAF flyer.
- Have students start the application in class.
- Get former recipients to speak for a few minutes in classes.
What is an affiliated school?
Affiliated schools are U.S. colleges or universities with hospitality-related programs that agree to participate in the AHLA Foundation's Annual Scholarship Grant Program. AHLAF is limited in the number of schools that it can add to the program based on available funding. Each year, affiliated schools are usually allocated $4,000-$7,500 that they can award to their students who meet a set of minimum eligibility criteria.
- agree to co-administer our scholarships with us AHLAF.
- are allocated annual scholarship grants annually.
- select scholarship recipients based on eligibility criteria set by AHLAF Scholarship Committee (see Student Minimum Eligibility Criteria below).
- decide award amounts for each nominated student based on parameters set by the AHLAF Scholarship Committee (see Award Amount Guidelines below).
- receive and disburse all AHLAF scholarship checks to both school-nominated and self-nominated recipients.
- serve as an AHLAF point of contact on campus for all school-nominated and self-nominated scholarships.
- agree to promote all AHLAF school-nominated and self-nominated scholarships.
- assist in collecting transcript documentation (official or unofficial) from each AHLAF scholarship recipient at the end of the spring semester or quarter.
- must re-apply every three to five years for consideration to remain in the Annual Scholarship Grant Program (see school application details below).
A school does NOT need to be affiliated for its students to be eligible to submit scholarship applications for the AHLA Foundation’s six open scholarship competitions.
Affiliation with and participation in the Annual Scholarship Grant Program requires a school to co-administer the scholarships with the AHLA Foundation.
Approximately every three to five years, AHLAF’s Scholarship Committee reviews all schools participating in the Annual Scholarship Grant Program and accepts applications from new schools wishing to join.
This year the committee completed the review process and approved 63 schools to participate in the Annual Scholarship Grant Program. The committee reviewed on the following information:
- Degrees offered
- Number of students enrolled and graduating from the program
- Program faculty
- Student placement in the industry
- Hotels recruiting on campus
- Program accreditation
The committee also considered participation in AHLAF's scholarship programs and looked at the total number of students applying from each school. It's important that the school shows its support by encouraging their students to apply for AHLAF scholarships.
Our school isn't affiliated – what can we do?
Promote AHLAF’s open scholarships to your hospitality management students and encourage their application. AHLAF is tracking the number of applicants received from each school. Make sure that your school shows a strong commitment to AHLAF’s scholarships with a solid number of applications each year so that it will stand out during the next school review. Reach out to email@example.com to find out when we are next reviewing schools for affiliation.